Ferrari Sebastian Vettel wins 2017 Australian Grand Prix
The New 2017 F1 cars were in action last weekend at Australia for the opening round of the Formula One Championship. The cars lived up to the hype: they were faster, better looking and sounded better too - not much overtaking was seen (yet) - but overall we enjoyed the show!
2017 F1 season starts with new car launches
- Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel won the race! This was Ferrari's first win in Australia since Raikkonen took the title in 2007... a decade (wow) to win in Australia again.
- Note: Vettel last win for Ferrari was at Hungarian Grand Prix in 2015 while Kimi Raikkonen won the Australian Grand Prix in 2013 but when driving for the Lotus F1 Team.
- Mercedes Lewis Hamilton continues to be fast - finished 2nd.
- Mercedes choice for second driver was correct - Valtteri Bottas finished 3rd.
- Kimi Raikkonen took the second Ferrari to 4th.
- Red Bull Max Verstappen continues to impress - finished 5th with the Renault engine.
- Williams (back from retirement) Felipe Massa finished 6th.
- Scuderia Toro Rosso and Sahara Force India drivers finished the race within the Top 10.
- McLaren Honda not really up to expectations. Unknown yet if Honda will be able to catch up - but interesting that Fernando Alonso did not finished the race due to a suspension issue - rather than due to engine...
- Haas F1 Team did not manage to finished the race.
- Renault Sport F1 and Sauber F1 Team suffered technical issues.
The full results are here:
2017 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix Race Results
More on Bottas here:
Valtteri Bottas and his 2017 Mercedes challenge
Will be interesting to see how Ferrari performs in the next round and if they can manage to win again over Mercedes - hope we can see Renault sorting their engine issues as well - same goes for McLaren Honda...
Posted on March 28, 2017